3rd Annual Muscatine County Fair
BBQ Cook-off Contest
West Liberty, Iowa
The Muscatine County Fair will be holding the 3rd Annual BBQ Cook-off Contest - moved from September
to June. We encourage all BBQ enthusiasts to participate and show off their BBQ talents and skills.
- We want everyone to have a good time!
- Cooking shall be done using one of the following fuels: charcoal, wood, LP, or pellets.
- Competitors shall bring meat in original packaging, untouched. (NO RUBS, INJECTIONS, BRINES, OR MANIPULATION OF ANY KIND.
- All meat will be cooked onsite. Any evidence that preparation occurred off site will result in disqualification without refund.
- Cooking time will begin any time after 6:05 a.m. Cooks meeting is at 6:00 a.m.
- Cooking will commence following the cooks meeting. (SHOTGUN START)
- Turn in boxes will be provided and ONLY meat (and the side in the Healthy Category) is
allowed in the designated box. No garnishes.
- 3 individual portions SHALL be turned in for judging.
- Turn-ins will have a window of 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after. (Example 12:30 turn in window would be 12:25-12:35.)
- Entry fees must be received before competitor is allowed to be given turn-in boxes.
- A double blind judging method will be used to assure fair and honest competition. (Renumbering of the boxes at turn in will occur.)
- Cook spots will be 12'x12'.Trailers, RVs, Campers, and support vehicles are welcome.
- Set up and camping the night before is permissible.
- Each cook will have an ABC fire extinguisher in their site at meat inspection.
- $50 entry fee is payable to: Muscatine County Fair.
New: Friday night at 10:00 pm we will have an appetizer of choice class starting at 10:00 pm with judging at 11:00 p.m.
Saturday 12:00 Noon: Healthy Class – Meat of Choice w/vegetable or fruit side
Saturday 12:30 PM: Poultry – Turkey Tenderloins (will be provided)
Saturday 1:00 PM: Beef – Beef Roast of choice
Saturday 1:30 PM: Pork – Ribs of choice
As this is a fundraiser for the fairgrounds we are asking that you put your extra food from each class in a roaster with your name on it. If you do not have a roaster you can bring we
will find one for you. Let us know on the entry form if you need us to find you a roaster. We
plan to sell armbands so spectators can sample your smoked meats.
Taste: 1-5 (multiplier 2.50)
Tenderness: 1-5 (multiplier 2.00)
Visual Appeal: 1-5 (multiplier .50)
1st tiebreaker: Throw out the lowest taste score of tied competitors.
2nd tiebreaker: Throw out the lowest visual appeal score of tied competitors.
3rd tiebreaker: The coin toss.